Saturday, April 23, 2011

Dog-sitter, Extraordinaire

My roommate had to dog sit for her parents this week.  They own a toy poodle named Snuggles (she kinda looks like the Snuggle fabric softener bear).  Me, being the festive person I am (?) suggested we give Snuggles an Easter makeover.  First, I started by grooming her fur coat.  Unfortunately, I didn't start snapping photos until after the cut, but here is a picture of a toy poodle from the web, of what Snuggles would normally look like...


Kinda cute for a little dog, right?  Well, she was due for a trim, so I tried my best with the limited dog grooming skills that I have (umm, none?)...

And here is the post-cut!!  Snuggles is now rockin the 'hawk.


Well, no cut is complete without a little color, right?!  So, I was thinking along the lines of an Easter theme.  What I was envisioning is a spring chicken, so I ran to the groc and bought a few packets of lemon and orange kool aid for the coloring.  This is a technique my sister, Leslie, used in high school on her blond hair for a little punk flair.  Just kidding.  I was probably more of a punk than she, but I didn't have the hair color to play around with the temporary self-dye.  


Lookers-on...  



Unfortunately, I didn't grab enough kool aid packets to cover her whole body, so it didn't work out quite like I had envisioned, but here is the final product...


Note, the orange "beak" and the (pastel) yellow!  Also, to coincide with the punk rocker mohawk, Alicia bought a spike collar in pink.  


Just look at that face!

Alicia's parents arrived and they loved the Easter surprise.  Her dad even tried to get Snuggles to sit in the flower bed to pose, but she wasn't having any of that.  I think she was ready to get away from the crazy Weimaraners.  She was a sitting duck (or chick?) after I painted that orange and lemon kool aid all over her. 


In the past I have not been much of a fan of small dogs (especially little yappy ones), but I have to admit I enjoyed hanging out with snuggles and I had fun giving her a new style.  I felt like I was 5 years old, playing dress up with dolls (which, by the way, I never took part in).  Overall, I think the end result just made Snuggles look like a punk rocker rather than a spring chick.  
A spring biker chik, perhaps?  I think so.

Happy "hawky" Easter, everyone!







3 comments:

  1. TOO CUTE! and so festive and fun! im with you on small yappy dogs, but look at that sweet thing!
    love your blog! xo, nellierae

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nellie! I also took Snuggles to the city off-leash dog park, both before and after the makeover, and this one lady who saw Snuggles' transformation was like: "Ooh, you're a bad girl today!" It was so funny, and to top it off, she was getting more attention than normal from all the studs. Sheesh, maybe I'm in need of a makeover, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. People should not ruin and steal bycicles and things

    ReplyDelete