Thursday, December 2, 2010

Don't open that door. My gorilla is in there...

I love music.  Music has been my ongoing love affair since I can remember belting out James Taylor and Anne Murray songs in the bathtub before the age of 5.  I can thank my James Taylor repertoire to my mother, who affectionately referred to him as "JT."  So, it's no surprise that JT would sometimes wander into my dreams as I slumbered.  One of these dreams, I can still remember to this day...  I was with my parents and we were going over to JT's house.  It was a modest abode (a double-wide, in fact) in Teton Valley.  Everyone was sitting around chatting, and I could hear some noises coming from a room behind a closed door.  Me, being the curious 4 or 5 year old that I was, went to investigate.  James noticed, and as I was about to open the door, he stopped me and said: "Don't open that door.  My gorilla is in there."  That is all I remember of the dream, but any of you who are familiar with JT, you know he has a song called Gorilla.  I couldn't find a video of James singing the song himself, but I wanted to post the song.  Here is a pretty good rendition by a couple of guys.




So, me being the amazing daughter I am....hee hee...I bought my mom and I 5th row tickets to go see James Taylor at the USANA amphitheater a couple years ago. It was a wonderful experience to share with my mom, and the least I could do to repay the lifelong love of JT's music she passed on to me.


THE HOTTIES...




AND THE MAN...




Simply magical.  Thanks JT, for a great memory.

2 comments:

  1. JT has squeezed my right hand...I'll never forget that moment. Sadly I have washed my hand millions of times since then, but I like to think he still has a "hand" in my music (haha, pun intended!) My mom also inspired JT in my life by giving me one of his CDs my freshman year of college. Gaia from that album inspired a research paper I did for my final in English :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The magic is still there, Mers. It resonates when you play!!

    ReplyDelete