Saturday, February 12, 2011

pupdate...


This week, I noticed a rash in Nixie's ear.  Upon further investigation, it appeared she had dirt in her earlobes, but it just didn't look right.  After consulting my friend, the internet, I came to the conclusion that she has ear mites (well, that explains all her scratching)!  Ear mites, if left untreated, can cause deafness...which I guess would give them a better excuse for not listening to me...  Blue has them as well, but his aren't as bad.  So, a quick trip to the pet store, and with ear cleaner and ear mite drops in hand, I set out to clean the dogs.  Ugh.  It was a 2 man effort because those pups sure didn't appreciate my poking and prodding, so Alicia held them down for me.  








So, first I had to clean out all the brown stuff...which is actually a mixture of dead mites, blood, and earwax.  Ewwww....
The cleaning solution is supposed to dissolve the ear wax in the ear canal, where i couldn't reach with a q-tip, so the actual medication will have to wait til the ears are all clean.  Until then, the pups will be keeping their distance, I'm sure, to avoid the ear probing!


3 comments:

  1. So glad you commented on my blog so I could find yours. I play basketball with a girl that reminds me of you and she is totally awesome. I think your next adventure should take you here to the PNW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacy,
    I found your blog through Jamie's, too :-) I love that picture of you on the top of your blog. What a looker. The pictures of your dogs' ears are a little nasty, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Jame and Ash! Glad you gals could stop by my blog. Unfortunately, I don't update it often enough. I have myself thinking I'm too busy, but actually I'm just boring. :D

    ReplyDelete